The Area Director acts as the CEO of their market area and oversees all aspects of the market stores. This position is responsible for the stores’ success and achievement of all stated revenue and financial goals. In collaboration with the Regional Director, Vice President of Stores, General Manager and Store Managers, the Area Director is responsible for developing specific store plans (including store schedules and payroll expense plans) and outlining the necessary actions to achieve those goals.
The individual in this role acts as a link between the main office in Dallas and the stores, sharing consistent communication about the future vision and expectations of the company. This individual must monitor the progress of the staff to ensure these expectations are being met.
The Area Director provides collaboration, input and guidance to the General Manager and Store Managers as they work through multiple tasks, challenges and opportunities. They are actively involved in identifying future leaders of our company and in the recruiting and hiring process. This position is a full-time salaried exempt position and reports to a Regional Director. The General Manager from each of the assigned stores reports to the Area Director.
This position is based in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex, with responsibility for several stores in the area.
- Motivates and inspires enthusiastic and productive behavior, with the goal of providing exceptional service to our customers and meeting or exceeding company goals and objectives.
- Embraces our Communication IS Leadership approach to business by using clear, concise and compassionate communication.
- Communicates expectations and effectively evaluates store performance and store objectives.
- Oversees all company initiatives and directives (sales, visual sales, training, logistics, staff development, etc.) ensuring successful execution.
- Is the steward of company culture, promoting and embracing our business practices and philosophies.
- Leads, coaches, trains and manages by example and with grace of authority, embracing and adapting to change and maintaining respect, dignity and compassion at all times.
- Collaborates with the General Manager and Store Managers to ensure the development of each employee, focusing on the employee’s needs, goals and aspirations, while keeping the store and company needs top of mind.
- Is actively involved in the recruiting and hiring process, working with General Manager and Store Managers to identify needs and set hiring goals.
- Sets specific written goals for General Manager and Store Managers and partners with them to develop written goals for each staff member. Ensures that everyone has a path to improve their performance as well as the business.
- Takes corrective action when necessary, collaborating with the Regional Director and the management team on the appropriate conversations, actions, follow-up and documentation.
- College education preferred.
- 10+ years of leadership experience (retail experience a plus).
- Retail District Manager or Regional Manager experience beneficial.
- Staff development expertise.
- Proven track record in sales and customer service.
- Experience in business planning processes.
- Ability to travel frequently (30%-40%).
- Capable of finding a balance between managing the details and coaching others to manage the details while taking a wider view of the business.
- Possesses strong time management and organizational skills with the ability to successfully manage multiple projects at once.
- Regularly evaluates the caliber of the store staff, and the relationship between the staff and the management team.
- Visits stores regularly and hosts weekly conference calls with the General Manager and Store Managers.
- Works in partnership with the General Managers on all aspects of driving the business; identifying, sorting and setting goals and priorities for the success of the store.
- Creates and manages the schedules for all store employees as well as the detailed payroll expense plan.
- Makes sure all store sales goals are understood by management teams and the staff.
- Conducts on-site New General Manager and Store Manager training – specifically responsible for the ongoing development of the General Managers and Store Managers.
- Stays current and evaluates all company and store-specific reporting and applies that knowledge to driving sales and affecting positive change in the store.
- Partners with the Vice President of Stores to gain perspective on all payroll issues, store P&L statements, and is able to effectively communicate that perspective to the store management team.
- Helps coordinate regional marketing, public relations, advertising and community involvement activities with our Home Office.
- Identifies operational needs and helps facilitate efficiencies in each area store.
- Monitors and ensures the store is compliant in all legal matters and communicates any needs or concerns to the appropriate parties.
- Performs all other assigned duties.
The Container Store promotes a smoke-free, drug-free environment. EOE.
Click to view physical requirements.