The Distribution Manager – Fulfillment oversees all areas of the Fulfillment (Direct-to-Consumer) distribution operation. This position is responsible for achieving all of the operational performance and financial objectives, ensuring a cost-effective operation, as well as efficient utilization of the facility.
He/she must have a clear understanding of the company vision and objectives. Working closely with the Distribution Center General Manager and the other Distribution Managers, he/she is responsible for managing the Distribution Center Fulfillment operations including labor schedules, long-range planning and future automation, system changes and implementation. This is a full-time, salaried exempt position.
Position Reports To
Distribution Center General Manager
- Responsible for driving the vision and solution that supports the high growth rate of our Direct to Consumer operations. Must have prior experience with implementing and managing a pick/pack environment with increasing levels of automation.
- Leads and supports the company’s initiatives that flow through the Fulfillment operation but supports separate “Direct-to-Consumer” experiences such as At Home initiative; elfa Installation Services; prepaid orders (picking and packing) and all other initiatives as identified by the company.
- Regularly meets with and mentors Distribution Supervisors providing operational knowledge and a thorough understanding of all company communication and vision.
- Direct reports: 2-4 Supervisors, as well as 75-100 employees.
- Embrace The Container Store’s Communication IS Leadership approach to business. Use clear, concise and compassionate communication.
- In collaboration with the Distribution management team, determine the department’s labor needs, work schedule and adjust accordingly when appropriate. Responsible for managing the Distribution Fulfillment operation payroll expense plan.
- Maintain and promote a safe work environment for all employees. Ensure all safety policies and procedures are adhered to by the entire staff.
- Evaluate all company and distribution reporting and metrics and apply that knowledge to drive efficiencies throughout the operation.
- Monitor and ensure compliance in all legal matters and communicate any needs or concerns to management.
- Be a steward of company culture, promoting and embracing our business practices, philosophies and strategies.
- Lead, coach, train and manage the values and attitudes of all distribution employees by managing behavior, actions and performance through proper communication and follow-up.
- Conduct timely and objective salary and performance reviews of direct reports. Participate in full-time and part-time staff reviews, as appropriate.
- Manage corrective/disciplinary action when necessary, collaborating with the Distribution Center General Manager on the appropriate conversations, actions, follow-up and documentation.
- Understand and support the idea of change as progress and growth for the company.
- Perform all other assigned duties as business needs require.
- College degree preferred
- 10 – 15 years of distribution management experience
- 7 – 10 years of Direct to Consumer operational experience
- Knowledge working with a Warehouse Management System and a Labor Management System
- Experience implementing and managing warehouse automation, conveyors and sortation systems
- P&L responsibility for a distribution operation
- Strong time management and organizational skills with the ability to successfully manage multiple projects at once
- Attention to detail, positive attitude and a passion for knowledge
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent oral/written communication skills
- Computer literate with experience in operating a database, spreadsheets, and Microsoft software
- Confidence and competence in decision making ability
- Retail operations experience required
The Container Store promotes a smoke-free, drug-free environment.
Click to view physical requirements.